The JOY Grant was founded to jump-start, nourish and support scientifically-based ideas and research that can ultimately provide cutting edge solutions for reducing stress impact on our performance and/or well-being, improving regulation of emotions in personal and social context, increasing mental and physical resilience under challenge. It is part of an interdisciplinary effort of creating a joint collaborative eco-system, in Israel, between academia and industry, to use the latest neuroscience and technological advancements for improving the everyday human experience by enhancing individual capacity to cope with daily challenges and stress. JOY will also support a privately-owned incubator, nurturing start-up companies, exclusively in this field.
The Grant is seeking to promote and contribute to the recently emerging scientific field of wellness and wellbeing, and harness its experience to assist in the dissemination of knowledge from the laboratory to the market.
We look for research proposals offering state of the art scientific based tools or procedures, while incorporating breakthrough technologies, solutions and approaches for monitoring and modulation of the human brain and body. The Grant will support research performed in academic education centers (universities and colleges) and academic medical institutes in Israel.
The long-term vision is to create a new field of scientifically based "Neuro Wellness" consumer solutions, that will improve the everyday human experience by reducing mental vulnerability and cultivating mental resilience, thus allowing people to cope with and better manage stress and negative emotions during their daily activities. Such solutions will be purchased and used directly by consumers with no need for FDA clearance or medical guidance/supervision.
Collaborations among Israeli scientists and researchers with industry are highly encouraged. Both basic and applied research will be considered.
The program will provide, each year, up to $1.2 million dollars in funding to proposals consistent with the initiative's goals, through a competitive application, review, and selection process. Selected proposals will be funded with amounts of $40,000-$100,000 per annum, for a two-year period, beginning Nov 1, 2017. Research extensions should be applied for up to 6 months prior to the end of the two-year period.
A meeting explaining the grant application and presenting the initiative including Q&A will be held, on February 27 2017, to further elaborate on the focus of the grant, answer questions, meet members of the scientific committee.
How do I know that my research proposal fits the call?
- Submission of a short research abstract (up to 1 page),
to verify the research is aligned with grant aims, is possible.
Are there any special technical restrictions regarding the proposed research?
- Joy's Grant is launched for the 1st year. We are trying to be as flexible as possible, regarding technical grant aspects.
Is the 2-min video a must?
- No, it is now optional and not mandatory. Submission of a Slide show + Narration is also optional. Hebrew or English are both acceptable.
Should I research the market prior to submission?
- The research proposed is expected to be innovative.
How many proposals may be submitted per researcher?
- The number of submitted proposals per PI/researcher is unlimited.
Is the number of winning proposals per researcher limited?
- No, the number of winning proposals per PI/researcher is unlimited.
How many researchers/PIs may co-submit a proposal?
- Number of PI's/researchers per proposal is unlimited.
Who is defined as "Young researcher" according to CFP?
- "young researcher" means, not only academic PIs may submit the proposal, but also other levels of researchers. It neither refers to age or years passed since PhD completion nor to academic rank.
Who can serve as PI for the proposed research?
- Any researcher level can serve as the PI, as long as he or she has a hosting lab.
Could the main researcher's level (e.g PhD student vs. Postdoc) affect the chances of receiving the grant?
- No. The grade given by the reviewers and the committee would determine the results. Since several proposals will win the grant, most likely is that proposals with similar grading will both receive funding, regardless of the seniority of the main researcher.
Who is eligible for salaries funded by the grant?
- Proposal budget may include salaries to researchers who are not full faculty members.
May the research include collaborations abroad?
- Funds allocation for such collaboration should be relatively limited. Israeli collaborations are preferred.
- Long term & established research connections are acceptable. Main research should be conducted in Israel.
May the proposed research be of a basic science nature?
- It can be either basic or non-basic as long as it is aligned with grant's aims.
Should the proposed research include an applicative outcome?
- Researchers are not expected to offer specific applications to their research or to commercialize it.
If a product idea does exist, please add as an appendix to the proposal.
Will I need to provide additional details during the reviewing process?
- Joy Grant might use post submission correspondence with researchers, to better understand proposals, if needed.
What scientific research method is preferred?
- Biomarkers or other objective measures are preferred vs questionnaires. However, Joy grant believes that each researcher will choose the optimal fitting technique.
May the research be conducted on animal models?
- Research on humans preferable, though both acceptable.
Research on humans – what of subject compensation?
- Subject compensation may be included in research budget.
Should I add an introductory page (As appears in Appendix A in the call) for each of the researchers that take part in the proposal?
No. Such a document is required only for one researcher. Similar information of all other researchers could be provided in any other format.
What is the meaning of "scientific approach" that is mentioned in CFP paragraph 5 and Appendix B?
- In this section, one should elaborate on the research methodologies and evaluation techniques.
Should I stick to the order of the sections as appears in CFP paragraph 5 Appendix B?
- Yes, you should stick to the required proposal structure.
Inquiries of specific research directions and their relevance to grant’s aims, are also welcome.